Using Z-Wave and Nest Together
To some extent Z-Wave and Nest are competing technologies, with both offering ways to control the heating in your home and both capable of providing security for your home with Smoke / CO Alarms and CCTV camera integration. However, each technology has it's own strengths and weaknesses, so which do you choose?
Well, what if you didn't have to choose between them at all?
An ideal solution would be to have a combined (hybrid) system so that you can select the best products from either technology.
Figure 1: Using Z-Wave and Nest Together.
The Hybrid System - Fibaro or VERA & Nest
Creating a hybrid system is very easy to do and works incredibly well.
The VERA or Fibaro Z-Wave Controller use a software "Plugin" to communicate with the Nest Cloud services via Ethernet over your Internet connection, hence the reliability of this integration is dependant on the service provided by your ISP.
In practise we didn't experience any connectivity problems nor any discernable delays between the systems communicating, so even the most basic of Internet service should be fine. Since VERA and Fibaro are native Z-Wave controllers they will also communicate and control all of the Z-Wave devices in the system.
This approach enables you to pick and choose the products from each technology and use the ones that you prefer.
The Fibaro & VERA controllers are much more powerful than the simple services offered by the Nest Cloud, so as well as supporting Z-Wave devices they will enable you to easily create more complex automation scenes and schedules that can automate your entire home.
Benefits of the Fibaro or VERA Controller
- Single User Interface and App to control both technologies - no swapping Apps to control each system
- Powerful control of automation scenes - control lights and appliances based on sensors and timers
- Advanced Schedules and Timers - control multiple devices any time of the day or night
- Create moods and scenes to cover all your devices, no matter what technology they use
- Wide range of Apps for iOS, Android and Windows Mobile
- Ability to use further Plugins to expand the system - Sonos, Netatmo, Philips Hue, Logitech, LightwaveRF, etc
- Native support for geo-fencing and location based logic
Benefits of Z-Wave
Z-Wave has a huge range of devices available from a wide number of manufacturers - you'll always find the right product for your needs.
- Wide range of sensors - motion, door/window, light, humidity, smoke, flood...
- Sensors can control and activate your Nest Thermostat or Z-Wave devices
- Huge number of controllable devices available - relays, dimmers, valves, LEDs...
- Trigger Z-Wave devices based on state changes in Nest Protect Smoke Alarms
- Mesh technology makes Z-Wave the most reliable wireless system available
Benefits of Nest
Nest has a range of exceptionally designed devices, covering heating, safety and security.
- Easy to install learning, intelligent heating Thermostat - or you can have it installed by a third party
- The best Smoke Alarm on the market today
- Configuration works out of the box
- Innovative IP Cam that offers additional Cloud based features
- API allowing 3rd party integration
- VERA Plus Z-Wave Controller
- VERA Edge Z-Wave Controller
- Fibaro Home Center 2 Z-Wave Controller
- Fibaro Home Center Lite Z-Wave Controller
- Nest Learning Thermostat - 3rd generation
- Nest Protect Smoke and CO Sensor - Wireless
- Nest Protect Smoke and CO Sensor - Wired
- Nest Cam IP Camera
- Choosing a Smoke Alarm
- APNT-141: Using Nest with VERA UI7
- APNT-142: Using Nest with Fibaro V4
Copyright Vesternet 2016