This application note shows how to use VERA as a Dusk to Dawn controller to automatically control a light.
The aim of this project is automatically control a light during the night:
- Use VERA Lite as the central controller and scheduler
- Light turns On at Dusk (Sunset)
- Light turns Off at Dawn (Sunrise)
- The time of Sunset and Sunrise is automatically calculated by VERA - no need to change the times manually
Setting the Scene
This application needs two Scenes to be created in VERA:
- Scene 1 - turns the light On at Sunset, it uses a Schedule (1) to trigger it at the correct time
- Scene 2 - turns the light Off at Sunrise, it uses a Schedule (2) to trigger it at the correct time
Check the time - As this application uses VERA's time control, you need to ensure that it's time and location have been correctly configured.
For further information take a look at Application Note 14 - Setting the Time in Vera
Create Scene 1 (Sunset)Scenes are created and edited in VERA's Automation Tab, to create the first scene for our Sunset - Sunrise control:
- Go to the Automation tab and click New Scene
- Give the new scene a name - in this example I used 'Demo Night Light On'
- Select the Z-Wave device to be controlled by the scene - I selected 'Main Light - LW' and clicked 'On'
- Choose a Room from the drop-down list - I selected 'Demo'
Create Schedule 1 (Sunset)The Sunset scene will be controlled by a dedicated schedule that activates it at the correct time and day:
- Go to the Schedules, click blue Add Schedule button
- Give the new schedule a name - I gave it the same name as the scene 'Demo Night Light On'
- Select 'Day of Week based' - this enables you to select the time and day(s) that this schedule will trigger the scene
- Select the day(s) you would like this schedule to be active - I choose 'Monday - Friday'
- In 'Time' select 'Sunset' from the drop-down selection
- Click 'Done' to save this new schedule
- Click the green 'Confirm Changes' button to save the Scene
- Click the red 'Save' button to save changes to VERA
- When VERA has saved the scene, click the blue 'Continue' button on the 'Save Data' screen.
Create Scene 2 (Sunrise)To create the second Scene to switch the light Off at Sunrise, follow the same process as for Scene 1:
- Go to the Automation tab, click New Scene
- Name the Scene and Schedule 'Demo Night Light Off'
- Set the same device to 'Off'
- Go to the 'Schedules' tab and create a new schedule named 'Demo Night Light Off'
- Set the schedule control to 'Sunrise'
- Make sure you click 'Confirm Changes' and 'Save'
We now have two scenes that will control the On and Off times for light.
Take a look at the video to see these scenes being created in VERA.