Installing a Fibaro Dimmer Module into a Wall Light Switch
This application note shows how to install a Fibaro Dimmer module into an existing light switch.
It is based on a UK style 2-wire lighting system with no neutral wire at the switch. More information about 2-wire lighting systems is available in Application Note APNT-23: Understanding 2-wire and 3-wire Lighting Systems.
Your existing wiring will be similar to that shown in Figure 1, this will be changed slightly when the Fibaro Dimmer module is installed, as shown in Figure 2.
Note: To simplify these diagrams, we have not shown the earth cables - but all circuits MUST have the earth cable correctly installed.
Figure 1: Standard 2-wire lighting circuit
Figure 2: Lighting circuit (2-wire) with Fibaro Dimmer installed
- Turn of the electricity at the main circuit breaker
- Removed the existing switch and disconnect the two wires (blue and brown)
- Wire the Fibaro Dimmer module into the circuit using Figure 2 as a guide
- Put the Dimmer module into position in the switch back-box, ensuring the cables are not damaged or kinked
- Connect the wires from the dimmer's Sx and S1 terminals to the light switch
- Put the light switch in position and tighten the screws to the back box
- Switch the power back on at the circuit breaker
Fibaro Dimmer Connections
The Fibaro Dimmer has six terminals to connect it to the electrical wiring, this application note uses five of them:
Fibaro Dimmer Parameter Setting:
The following parameters need to be set:
All electrical circuits MUST be correctly Earthed.
All cables used in lighting circuits contain a bare Earth wire - this typically has a green/yellow sleeve when it is wired to the switch or backbox. The Earth is a very important part of the electrical system and all switches, appliances and lights must be correctly earthed.
For simplicity we do not show the earth wire in these drawings or explanations as it plays no active role in the day-to-day workings of your light circuits, it is there for your protection in case of emergency.
Installing the Fibaro Dimmer modules involve working with 240V mains wiring. If you are not comfortable doing this you should consult a qualified electrician. This application note is provided as a guide, all work is are carried out at your own risk. Vesternet do not accept any responsibility or liability.
This video shows how to install a Fibaro Dimmer module into an existing wall switch following the steps outlined in this application note.
- APNT-2: 2-way Lighting Using Fibaro Dimmer Modules
- APNT-3: Configuring Fibaro modules in the VERA controller
- APNT-8: Configuring Fibaro modules in the Zipato
- APNT-11: Using Different Switch Types with Fibaro Dimmer Modules
- APNT-12: Motion activated light using Zipato Rule Creator
- APNT-16: Motion activated Light with Light Level Sensor in VERA
- APNT-17: Controlling Lights with Fibaro Relays
- APNT-18: Using a Secondary Switch with a Fibaro Module
- APNT-23: Understanding 2-wire and 3-wire Lighting Systems
- APNT-24: Using Fibaro Dimmers with LED Lights
- APNT-25: Momentary Switches
- APNT-26: Motion Activated Light Using Fibaro Home Center 2
- APNT-28: Sunset-Sunrise Lighting with Fibaro Home Center 2
- Fibaro Universal Dimmer Module
Copyright Vesternet 2016