Using the Philio 4-in-1 Sensor with VERA
The Philio MultiSensor (4-in-1) is an extremely versatile sensor, including motion, temperature, light, and door/window sensors, and is relatively easy to add to VERA.
This guide shows how to install and configure the Philio 4-in-1 (PSM02) sensor in the VERA Z-Wave Controller.
Add the Philio 4-in-1 Sensor to VERA
- Make sure the Sensor is within 1m of VERA and put VERA into Inclusion mode
- Remove the Sensor's mylar strip so that the battery is active (back of sensor) or press the Sensor's Tamper button 3 times
- The Sensor's LED will begin to flash
- After a few seconds the LED will stop flashing and the device will be included in VERA
- Allow VERA to save its new settings
- In VERA's DEVICES tab you will see the Philio Sensor as a single icon with a message "Waiting for wakeup to configure device"
Figure 1: Philio 4-in-1 waiting Configuration
- Press the Tamper switch once to wake the Sensor
- VERA will finish configuring the sensor - after a few seconds three icons will appear in VERA
- Initially the Temperature and Light sensor readings will be blank, but these will start working after the device has completed its first poll
- For further information on adding devices to VERA, take a look at APNT-48: Adding Devices to VERA
Figure 2: Philio 4-in-1 initial Icon in VERA before Configuration
PIR and Door Sensor Operation
Currently, there is a known issue with the Philio 4-in-1 Sensor and VERA with firmware 1.5.622.
- The PIR (motion) and the Door sensor are combined. This means that VERA shows the sensor as 'Tripped' when either of these sensors is tripped.
- It is not possible to distinguish between the two sensors in the VERA interface, Scenes or in LUA.
- We expect this issue to be corrected in a future release of VERA firmware.
Configuring the Philio Sensor
When configuring the Sensor, you should bare in mind the following points:
Only make configuration changes on the main Sensor device
The main sensor ("Philio 4-in-1" in the Figure 2) acts as the parent device - all configuration changes are made in the parent device and not in the temperature or light sensors.
Wake-up the Sensor
Remember that the Sensor is a battery-powered device - it will spend most of its time asleep. Like all battery-powered devices it must be awake to accept new configuration settings. The best process to update the configuration settings is:
- Click the Parent device's 'Wrench' icon
- Configure the parameters in the 'Device Options' tab
- Click 'SAVE' in VERA
- In the 'Settings' tab click 'Configure node right now'
- Press the Sensor's Tamper button once to make it wakeup
- Wait for VERA to finish setting the Sensor's configurations
- If the device icon displays a red error message such as 'Unable to configure node' the device was probably not awake when VERA tried to update the Sensor's parameters
- You can also check that the parameter has been correctly saved by clicking 'Reload' and then check the 'Current Value' in the Device Options tab
Most of the Sensor's configuration parameters are self explanatory. In fact the Sensor's default settings in VERA enable the device to work without any configuration changes.
However, parameter 6 does need some further explanation and clarification of the it various descriptions, - should you wish to change this parameter.
Parameter 6 is an 8-bit number, each of its bits represent a different feature that can be configured. The actual parameter value is the sum of the individual bit values. Table 1 (below) shows the various bit values for Parameter 6.
|0||Disable Sensor's LED when Door/Window Sensor is tripped.||1||0|
|1||Disable Sensor's LED when PIR Sensor tripped.||2||0|
|2||Do not combine PIR and Door Sensors.||4||4|
|3||Set this bit when Bit 2 is 0 (PIR and Door Sensors combined) and the Sensor is associated with a light actuator (Dimmer or Relay). Set to 0: If Sensor is in the same room as the light (Default). Set to 1: If Sensor is in different room.||8||0|
|4||Disable 5 second delay to turn off the light - after door/window closed.||16||0|
|5||Disable auto turn light off - after door/window Open was use to turn on the light. Note: If Bit 2 is 0, this setting cannot be used.||32||0|
|6||Enable temperature monitoring. When this bit is enabled, the sensor will report the temperature when the temperature has changed by 3 °F.||64||0|
Table 1: Parameter 6 bit values and their meaning.
The value of Parameter 6 is the sum of the values of the bits you would like active. Its default value is 4, which means that only Bit 2 is set.
For instance if you also wished to disable the 5 second delay to turn the light off (Bit 4) and the auto light off (Bit 5), you would enter a value of 52, this is the sum of Bits 2, 4 and 5 (4 + 16 + 32).
We believe that Bit 2 is currently incorrectly assigned by VERA. Bit 2 is set by default to have the PIR and door sensors operate separately, but VERA is ignoring this setting and is combining the PIR and Door sensors.
Figure 3: Philio 4-in-1 Configuration Parameters in VERA
By following this guide you should be able to use the Philio 4-in-1 sensor in VERA and when the new VERA firmware becomes available the PIR and Door Sensors should work correctly.
Copyright Vesternet 2014