Using Z-Wave and LightwaveRF Together
To a large extent Z-Wave and LightwaveRF are competing technologies, however, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. So an ideal solution would be to have a combined (hybrid) system so that you can select the best products from either technology.
Figure 1: Using VERA and RFX to control a hybrid Z-Wave and LightwaveRF System.
The Hybrid System - VERA and RFX
Creating a hybrid system is very easy to do and works incredibly well.
The RFXtrx433E (RFX) plugs into the VERA's USB socket and enables it to communicate with 433MHz-based devices, including LightwaveRF (See figure 1). As VERA is a native Z-Wave controller it will also communicate and control all of the Z-Wave devices in the system.
This approach enables you to pick and choose the products from each technology and use the ones you prefer.
Benefits of the VERA Controller
The VERA controller is much more powerful than the LightwaveRF Wi-Fi Link controller. As well as supporting Z-Wave devices it will enable you to easily create more complex automation scenes and schedules that can automate your home.
- Single User Interface and VERA App to control both technologies - no swapping apps to control each system
- Powerful control of automation scenes - control lights and appliances based on sensors and timers
- Advanced Schedules and Timers - control multiple devices anytime of the day or night
- Wide range of VERA Smartphone apps for iOS, Android and Windows Mobile
Benefits of Z-Wave
Z-Wave has a huge range of devices available from a wide number of manufacturers - you'll always find the right product for your needs.
- Wide range of sensors - motion, door/window, light, humidity, smoke, flood...
- Sensors can control and activate LightwaveRF or Z-Wave devices
- Heating control - take control of your heating even from your phone
- Mesh technology makes Z-Wave the most reliable wireless system available
Benefits of LightwaveRF
LightwaveRF has a great range of retrofit Dimmers and Wall Sockets.
- Easy to fit - simply replace your existing dimmer or wall sockets
- Low cost wall plugs
Benefits of 433MHz Devices
This approach also allows you to use a huge range of 433MHz devices from vendors such as Owl, Oregon Scientific, Somfy, and the list goes on.
- Huge range of simple wireless solutions
- Temp, wind, rain, weather sensors...
By using the hybrid system you get the best of both technologies - the simplicity of the LightwaveRF dimmers and wall sockets, and the power and huge range of Z-Wave.If you have any questions, of just want to check this is the right approach for your system, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- VERA Edge Z-Wave Controller
- RFXtrx433E USB Transceiver
- What is LightwaveRF?
- What is Z-Wave?
- APNT-47: Adding LightwaveRF Devices to VERA
- APNT-5: Configuring VERA to work with RFXtrx433 transceiver
- KB-32 - 433MHz devices tested with VERA & RFX
Copyright Vesternet 2015