Navigating the world of smart home devices, I've come across a myriad of products. Today, I'm diving into two that caught my attention: the Shelly Dimmer and the Shelly Dimmer 2. Both hail from the reputable Shelly brand. After unboxing and setting up both, I've gathered some insights that might help you decide which one's the better fit for your home.
Overview of Shelly Dimmer 2:
What is Shelly Dimmer 2?
Shelly Dimmer 2 is designed to cover all possible electrical installations worldwide. It's especially useful in houses where the neutral line is missing and offers a comprehensive set of dimming functionalities. This device can control a wide range of halogen lights, dimmable LEDs, and ferromagnetic transformers.
- No HUB required.
- Dimming without a neutral line.
- Integrated internal temperature sensor for overheating protection.
- Compatible with Android, iOS, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and various home automation servers.
- Power supply: 110-230V ±10%, 50/60Hz.
- Operational current: 0.1-1.1 A.
- Size: 42mm x 36mm x 14 mm.
Overview of Shelly Dimmer:
What is Shelly Dimmer?
Shelly Dimmer is a compact smart device tailored for your home's lighting needs. It effortlessly integrates with your WiFi network, offering both on/off and dimming capabilities. Notably, it can function even without a neutral line, making it adaptable for various electrical setups. Its design ensures it can handle a range of lighting types, ensuring a brighter or dimmer ambiance at your command.
- Uses home WiFi network; no additional controllers needed.
- On/off and dimming function.
- Overheating protection with an internal temperature sensor.
- Power Supply: 200 - 240V ±10, 50Hz AC and 110-240V ±10, 50/60Hz AC.
- Can work without a neutral line.
- Radio protocol: WiFi 802.11 b/g/n.
- Dimensions: 42 x 38 x 9 mm.
Key Differences between the products:
Neutral Line: Shelly Dimmer 2 can function without a neutral line, making it versatile for various electrical installations. While Shelly Dimmer also has this capability, the Dimmer 2 emphasizes this feature more.
Compatibility: Shelly Dimmer 2 boasts compatibility with a broader range of platforms, including Android, iOS, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant.
Size: There's a slight difference in dimensions, with the Shelly Dimmer 2 being 42mm x 36mm x 14 mm and the Shelly Dimmer being 42 x 38 x 9 mm.
Pros and Cons of Shelly Dimmer:
- Simple Integration: Uses your home WiFi network, eliminating the need for additional controllers.
- Versatility: Offers both on/off and dimming functions.
- Safety: Comes with an internal temperature sensor for overheating protection.
- Compact Size: Dimensions of 42 x 38 x 9 mm make it suitable for most standard installations.
- Limited Compatibility: While it does connect to WiFi, it doesn't explicitly mention compatibility with popular platforms like Alexa or Google Assistant.
Pros and Cons of Shelly Dimmer 2:
- Universal Application: Designed for all possible electrical installations worldwide.
- No Neutral Line Needed: Can function even in houses where the neutral line is missing.
- Broad Compatibility: Works with Android, iOS, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and various home automation servers.
- Safety Features: Integrated internal temperature sensor for overheating protection.
- Slightly Bigger: While still compact, it's a tad larger than the Shelly Dimmer with dimensions of 42mm x 36mm x 14 mm.
Full Spec Comparison Table:
|Feature/Specification||Shelly Dimmer||Shelly Dimmer 2|
|Power Supply||200 - 240V ±10, 50Hz AC||110-230V ±10%, 50/60Hz|
|Neutral Line Requirement||Can work without||Dimming without a neutral line|
|Dimensions||42 x 38 x 9 mm||42mm x 36mm x 14 mm|
|Overheating Protection||Yes (Internal temperature sensor)||Yes (Internal temperature sensor)|
|Compatibility||WiFi 802.11 b/g/n||Android, iOS, Alexa, Google Assistant, etc.|
|Operational Current||Not specified||0.1-1.1 A|
Both Shelly Dimmer and Shelly Dimmer 2 offer impressive features for smart home enthusiasts. If you're looking for broader compatibility and a device tailored for homes without a neutral line, Shelly Dimmer 2 might be the better choice. However, if size is a concern, the slightly slimmer Shelly Dimmer could be more suitable. Evaluate your specific needs and preferences to make the best decision.