I can't access my VERA Edge on the local network, what should I do?
By default VERA Edge should configure its network automatically when connected to your Internet router.
To find its local IP Address you can check your Internet routers' DHCP lease table (this could be called "machines" or "stations" on your Internet routers' user interface) and search for the IP assigned to the VERA Edges’ MAC Address – this can be found on a label on the bottom of your VERA Edge Controller.
You can then use this IP Address to access your VERA Edge locally by entering http://<VERA Edge local IP> into your browser.
If you can't access your VERA Edge in your web browser, see if you can ping it (the example below shows how to do this in Windows):
- Open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, Accessories and then clicking Command Prompt
- Another way to open a Command Prompt window is to click the Start button, in the Search box type Command Prompt and then, in the list of results, double-click Command Prompt
- Type “ping 192.168.1.50” (replace 192.168.1.50 by your VERA’s Edge local IP) and see if you receive a reply
If you can’t see your VERA Edges’ MAC address on your Internet routers’ DHCP lease table, or you can’t connect to the VERA Edge in your web browser and pinging the given IP doesn't work, you can use a “special” static IP address to access your VERA Edge so that you can diagnose what the problem can be.
This IP Address will be 192.168.XX.YY where XX.YY is a combination of numbers based on the VERA Edges' MAC address.
Depending on which firmware version your VERA Edge is running, you'll have to set it up like:
- Firmware version 1.7.1598 or older - the IP address VERA Edge can be accessed on will be generated using the last 4 digits in the mac address
- Firmware version newer than 1.7.1598 - the IP address VERA Edge can be accessed on will be generated using the last 4 characters of the mac address, where the letters are converted to numbers based on their order of the alphabet
Let’s say your VERA Edges’ MAC address is D4:21:22:FC:BC:9D
- On firmware version 1.7.1598 or older the IP Address would be 192.168.12.29 - D4:21:22:FC:BC:9D
- On firmware version newer than 1.7.1598 the IP Address would be 192.168.23.94 where:
- B = 2
- C = 3
- 9 = 9
- D = 4
To access VERA Edge with this "special" IP your PC should have an IP address in the same class as the unit, so 192.168.12.XXX (if using firmware 1.7.1598 or older) or 192.168.23.XXX (if using firmware newer than 1.7.1598) - where XXX is any number from 1 to 254 but not the same as the VERA Edge static IP.
Note: refer to this page for more details.
You should now be able to access your VERA Edge:
- Unplug the VERA Edge from the power cord
- Plug a network cable from your computer into VERA Edges’ LAN port
- Plug VERA Edge back into the power cord
- Wait for it to start
- Open your browser and type your VERA Edges’ “special” IP in the address bar – for instance http://192.168.23.94
Copyright Vesternet 2016