Extending VERA's capabilities to be able to control devices based on 433MHz frequency bands makes great sense. Simply adding the RFXtrx433E USB transceiver you can use VERA's advanced features, scenes and scripting capabilities to control 433MHz-based devices, including LightwaveRF. Plus, you have one controller for all your home automation technologies.
This application note and video show how to configure VERA to work with the RFXtrx433E transceiver.
Installation and configuration of VERA and RFXtrx433E is straightforward:
- Connect the RFXtrx433E transceiver to the VERA controller via USB cable
- Upload device files to VERA that enable it to communicate with the RFXtrx433E
- Create a master device which VERA uses to control the RFXtrx433E
- Configure the serial (USB) port to enable VERA and RFXrtx433E to communicate
- Select the 433MHz protocols you wish to use
Upload device files to VERA
To enable RFXtrx433E to work with VERA you need to download a set of configuration files and in upload them into your VERA.
- Download the configuration files as a ZIP file from: http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_rfxtrx/browser/trunk(this link is to the latest development version of the plugin).
- At the bottom of this page click 'Download in other formats - Zip Archive'.
- Full information about these files, regular updates and tips and tricks are available in the VERA RFX Plugin Forum
- Once downloaded, extract the files from the ZIP file into their own folder on your computer.
- In your browser open the MIOS UI5 interface and navigate to Apps / Develop Apps / LUUP Files
- Click the ‘Choose File’ button and navigate to the folder holding the configuration files and choose one file to upload.
Note: As there is so many files to upload to VERA it is best to upload between four and six files at a time, resetting LUUP after each batch is uploaded.
- Select four or six files, select ‘Restart LUUP after upload’ and then click ‘GO’. Before uploading the next batch make sure VERA has finished rebooting.
Create Master Device
- In MIOS UI5 go to APPs / Develop App / Create Device
- Enter D_RFXtrx.xml in the 'Upnp Device Filename' section
- Restart LUUP by going to SETPUP / Net & Wi-Fi / Reboot and click 'Reboot'
Setup the Serial Port
- Got to Apps / Develop Apps / Serial Port Configuration
- Select a Baud rate of 38400 and a the device named RFXtrx controller device from the drop down menus
- Click 'Back' and then restart LUUP (as above)
The final step is to select the 433MHz protocols you wish to use. It's worth noting that not all protocols work together, so you should only select the protocols that you wish to use.
- In MIOS go to DEVICES and select the RFXtrx controller device Setup by clicking its wrench icon
- Select the protocols you wish to use - in the screenshot I have just selected LightwaveRF
- Click 'Save RFXtrx Settings' button
That's it you're ready to start using VERA to control your LightwaveRF and other 433MHz-based devices.
Note - this video shows an earlier version of the RFX Plugin, however, all configuration steps are the same.